Home > creative process, inspiration, meditation, music > 2010: Wishes and Ambitions For the New Year.

2010: Wishes and Ambitions For the New Year.

December 28th, 2009 Leave a comment Go to comments

Hey there, Creative Beasts–happy holidays! Can you believe 2010 is almost here? I don’t know about you, but for me it seemed like 2009 blazed by like a comet… or at least like a wild horse. Which brings me to why I chose this image. There’s an old saying: “If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.” Try this on for size: Do what you gotta, but get that horse. Me? I’m going after ‘im, and I’m gonna catch ‘im. And then I’m gonna ride. Where we will go is yet to be determined, but I can say one thing… it will be an adventure.

I’ve been invited to stay in Italy this coming spring. I’m not sure yet if I can make it happen. I need to come up with the ticket… and the time. I want to go. A lot. That reminds me of another saying: “When there’s a will, there’s a way.” Can I will myself there? I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

So. This post, I’m asking all you CBs out there… What do you want out of 2010?

Personally, I’ve had it with resolutions. New Year’s resolutions are sooo 2009. 2010 is all about The Manifest-Wish-List. It’s about how we will turn our dreams into reality. Really, that’s the whole reason I started CreativeBeasts.com. I want the best and the most for creative folks everywhere and from all walks of life–the only caveat is that the creativity–has to be good. What does that mean? Humor me briefly: You don’t have to follow a special religion–but faith is important. Whether it’s a belief in something greater, or a belief in yourself, it is imperative. Creativity should serve a meaningful purpose. That could mean a lot of things; true. And since the general goal is to embrace and to expand the circle rather than to exclude or alienate, I’ll simply add this: Whether you write software apps or novels, whether you make films or medicine, whether you sing, run, play the drums or play basketball, sculpt, paint, act or teach–your creativity radiates from you. It takes on different colors, shapes, hues and tones. It moves people to act, it evokes, transforms, energizes and inspires. How will yours manifest?

Here are just a few things on my Manifest-Wish-List:

1. Make CreativeBeasts.com into a show that is for Creative Beasts, about Creative Beasts and the creative process.

2. Go to Italy.

3. Better organization.

4. Hit the morel Mother lode.

So. Got any ideas? Got a list?

Please share.

Here’s Spiritualized with Soul On Fire (Great band. See them live if you get the chance):

Post to Twitter Tweet This Post

1. Sara Everding
    December 28th, 2009 at 07:29 | #1

Great post! Very inspiring. Really got me thinking. I almost didn’t click on your link from twitter but I’m sure glad I did. As soon as your web site came up, I saw a picture of a wild horse and my eyes got wide. My 7-year-old daughter Hanna loves horses so I knew this article was for me. We read it together.

For one thing, you have to find a way to go to Italy! That sounds so exciting! 2010 is one of those years where you need to do something special.

I asked Hanna what she wanted to do in 2010. She said she wanted to work on her painting. We painted together yesterday. It was her first time with acrylic paints. I had tried paints many years ago, probably 10 years ago, and wasn’t very good. I’m not sure what happened, but I tried yesterday and made a much better painting than I expected! I am inspired to try again.

I think this will be the year that we take our first Disney Cruise because my son Ryan is finally potty-trained and he can hang out with the “big kids”. As exciting as that will be, I think 2010 is about something else. I am currently reading the book “3 Cups of Tea” about a man named Greg Mortenson who after a failed attempt to climb a summit in Pakistan ended up in a small town named Kophe where the kids went to school outside because they had no school and only had a volunteer teacher 3 days a week. Greg moved mountains and eventually fulfilled his promise to build a school for these kids.

Greg believes that the way to peace is through education. I couldn’t agree more. In 2010, I want to find a way to contribute to the education of children, especially for young girls, and especially for those kids who don’t have access.

Happy New Year!!!!

2. thaus
    December 28th, 2009 at 11:48 | #2

Hi Sara,

Thanks for sharing some of your and Hanna’s wishes and ambitions! I’m really glad you liked the post, and thanks for clicking on my link from Twitter. Painting is a wonderful creative pastime/endeavor–I love the focus and concentration it takes, but also the freedom. Good for Hanna for taking on acrylics! And I’m glad you gave it another go as well. 😉 Anything worth doing takes practice to get somewhere with it (according to Malcolm Gladwell, you have to put in 10,000 hours to become an expert at something), and even prodigies have to start somewhere, right? And if the goal is just to have fun, it’s still exciting when you start to get results that you like. …Very cool!

The Disney cruise sounds great, and I’m sure you all must be very excited about that. I hope you have a fabulous time, and it’s also exciting that Ryan is now old enough to ‘hang.’ 🙂

I haven’t read the Greg Mortenson book, but it sounds right up my alley. I think you’re right about peace and education. The more we are able to work together on things, the better we will be able to come up with good solutions for all. That’s where creativity plays its biggest role. Your list is very inspiring, indeed!

Thanks, again, Sara. Happy 2010 to you and your family, and looking forward to future updates. All the best!

3. Michele
    December 28th, 2009 at 17:02 | #3

VERY INSPIRING POST! I agree with Sara – there really IS something special about 2010. You know I always put forth these little seemingly silly “mini goals” (i.e. Try the fish fry at the Botanical Gardens), but they do tend to make me feel like I’m accomplishing something (even if the rest of my life seems out-of-sorts at times).

My main goal this year is to stoke my creativity after so much time under the snuffer. I hope to do that by way of new experiences and endeavors. After a very trying two years, 2010 will hopefully allow me to focus on mending my soul. Here are a few things on MY Manifest-Wish-List 🙂

1)Perfect a pan of homemade brownies.
    2)Finish my embroidery project.
    3)Hike the entire Lake Geneva Trail.
    4)Camp at Devil’s Lake State Park.
    5)Create my “Music Room” retreat.
    6)Keep a Journal.
    7)Re-start my event planning endeavors.

I’m sending Italy-laden vibes your way! I don’t think 2010 will bring Italy for me, but it has always been a dream of mine to go. I hope you can find the way – I’d love to live vicariously through your experience (and hopefully read all about your adventures here on CB :).

Happy New Year, Trishula!

4. thaus
    December 29th, 2009 at 13:57 | #4

Thanks, Shelby for joining in–loving it! Happy New Year to you and yours as well! That’s a great list. Can I go camping with you at Devil’s Lake? We could go morel hunting… lol. And I think you would be a fantastic event planner. Thanks for the pro-Italia vibes, also!! Whatever the case, I have good feelings about 2010. Ciao for now!

5. December 29th, 2009 at 15:21 | #5

Just remember Trish, it’s the journey that’s supposed to count, not the destination… of course, when you so badly want to get to the destination, it’s hard to smell those roses along the way. (Believe me, I know). Focus on what the crux actually is. If you are to get to Italy – what’s stopping you? Money? Time? Fear? As Dr. Pausch suggested to us all, the obstacles in our way are simply there to determine just how much you really want something. If there IS a will, there really IS a way. If you’re to ride Creative Beasts – then what’s in it’s way? Like the real-life gal in Julie & Julia, the simplicity of the concept was king – 365 days to cook all of Julia Child’s recipes. Daunting, but worth the struggle? With no guarantee of a film deal on the back end? What IS creative beasts and why should anyone care? How succinctly can you offer it up so that a focused audience finds it and adds to it? I say, it’s not clear enough yet. You need to find the first 1,000 fans – which will get you 10,000 folks – you get them, and your wish list comes true. It ain’t that far away – most people quit before they get 100 followers because they haven’t boiled their quest to its core. I think they call that “moxie”. You got it? Go get it. 🙂

6. thaus
    December 29th, 2009 at 23:46 | #6

Some excellent and thoughtful points, Mr. Farley. Thanks! I agree with much of what you’re saying. “What is Creative Beasts and why should anyone care?” Great question. And you’re right; it isn’t clear enough yet… so I’m hoping and counting on the notion that other Creative Beasts will hang with me for a little longer to see where it’s leading. The vision is exciting, I guarantee. Yes, more money would be good. A few more folks with a little more expertise in some areas than what I have would be good (SEO, web dev, editing… the list is quite long). Moxie… that, I’ve got. Determination–check. Talent, good looks, hunger, a shining personality–check, check, check, check. And I’m modest. So. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Creative Beasts is a site… soon to be a show (and inevitably, a community), for and about creative people from all walks of life. It is about the creative process, the passions, the hopes… the dreams. The love and the lust for life. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. 😉 So again, you’re right; it isn’t entirely clear yet. But it is getting clearer. Here’s the deal: there are thousands of Creative Beasts out there–maybe millions–who may never have their day in the sun. Many of whom may be brilliant and deserve to shine. Maybe they’re stuck grinding away at jobs that slowly suck the life out them, little by little. Minute by minute, day by day, and year by year. I’ve seen it happen, and heck–I’ve felt it happen. It just doesn’t have to be the case. Now. Just because someone has a dream or a desire doesn’t mean it’s going to materialize. American Idol clearly makes the case that just because you love to sing doesn’t mean everyone else wants to hear you. Very special individuals are celebrated because they are outstanding in some way. Not everyone has what it takes, and sometimes dreams get dashed, but that doesn’t mean you just give up. Get creative. Find a different angle–or a new dream. KEEP GOING. Anita Roddick said, “To succeed, you have to believe in something with such a passion that it becomes a reality.” Teddy Roosevelt said, “Believe you can, and you’re halfway there.” Kobi Yamada says, “Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down.” The message is always the same. “Believe, believe, believe!” Then work, work, work. How bad do you want it? Are you willing to feel lonely? Are you willing to lose sleep? Do you mind if people call you crazy? They will. And that is OK. Security can be comfortable, but comfort can make you lazy and boring. And security is an illusion anyway. When we get on airplane, we believe that it will safely take us to our destination. When we go to a job, we believe we will have a paycheck every two weeks. People that change things believe that they can. Sally Hogshead says, “You can be comfortable, or outstanding, but not both.” For some, there comes a time when you simply say, “No more.” That was what Rosa Parks did. She was tired of the nonsense, and just plain tired. She didn’t want to give up her seat, so she didn’t. When she made that decision she didn’t know what would happen next, and she did suffer for her cause–she lost her job at the time. But she changed the world. Comfortable? No. Outstanding? Yes. DREAM. IMAGINE. BELIEVE! And Seize The Prey. 🙂 That’s what Creative Beasts is all about.

7. thaus
    December 29th, 2009 at 23:56 | #7

By the way, I loved Julie & Julia. Funny you should mention that… I’ve been meaning to blog about it. And yes, great concept… 365 days to complete each recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Brilliant. And yes, there was no guarantee of a film deal… or anything else, for that matter. Passion, purpose… and faith.

1. December 28th, 2009 at 02:29 | #1